Millward, May & Co - Wokingham Accountants
Wokingham Accountants

Sign Up As A Sole Trader

Sole Trader Form

How to register as a sole trader with HMRC

So you've decided to start a business and set up as a sole trader. You'll need to register with HMRC by filling in a short form online. You can access the form by clicking on the link below:

Self-assessment registration form

You'll need to have following information in order to complete the form:

  • National Insurance number

  • Home address & date you moved there

  • Business address (this could be the same as your home address)

  • Telephone number

  • Email address

You'll also need to answer the following questions:

  • Are you a UK resident? If not, have you come to the UK from a non-EU country within the last 12 months?

  • What sort of self-employed work do you do? (e.g. carpenter, cleaner, contractor)

  • What date did the self-employment start?

If you've completed a self-assessment tax return before, you'll also need to find your UTR number. A UTR number is a 10 digit number called your 'unique taxpayer reference' and it's included on any of your personal tax returns and sometimes on letters you've received from HMRC. If you can't find any documents with your UTR on it, we suggest calling HMRC on 0300 200 3310.

What Next?

After you've filled out the form, you'll receive a letter in the post in a week or so confirming your registration as a sole trader with HMRC - this will include your 10 digit UTR (unique taxpayer reference) number on it.

We would be grateful if you could email your UTR number to so that we can have a copy of it on file - we'll need it to submit your self-assessment tax return to HMRC.

We'll then request to become your agent and you should receive another letter with a 10 digit code beginning with SA on it (e.g. SA12345678). If you're happy for us to become your agent please also send this code to

As your agent, we will be able to discuss your personal self-assessment tax with HMRC on your behalf.